October 12, 2004

Healing, Withdrawl & The Wonder of a Child's Mind

It's been a looong weekend.

What was to be a weekend filled with fun and Ren Faire glee went to hell in a handbasket when my little man came down with a nasty bug. We had a great day geocaching on Saturday, but Sunday it was apparent that he wasn't right. He was kind of moping around, not very energetic, and wanted to take a nap after lunch which is NOT like him. When he woke up, he was hot with fever.

So the rest of my weekend (and Monday) was spent with a clinging, needy, sick child. I love the fact that he is so snuggly when he is sick, but he doesn't want to let me out of his sight, which is frustrating.

During the times when ibuprofen had relieved his symptoms, however, we had a lot of fun. He has such a vivid imagination! We played with is pirate ship and accessories, played hide and seek and watched his batman movie entirely too many times.


This is me at approximately age 4. It was taken by my grandmother and I found it this weekend as I pawed through a huge box of keepsakes I got when she passed away. I would expect that it was taken on one of my extended visits. I would go and spend weeks at a time at her house when I was a child. Those are some of my most cherished memories, though I don't recall the story behind this picture. In the little bucket that I am holding, there is something that appears to be moss. I had obviously been digging as my face is quite grubby. I wonder what was up with the moss in the bucket. I wonder why I was wrinking up my chin like that.

It is astounding to me how much this picture looks like my son.

Pod Update
Pod is healing up nicely. He looks more like someone beat him up than having fallen down the stairs. (See a couple of posts down if you're asking yourself "who is Pod?")


You can see, in the first frame, the injuries from the first tumble. Note the top of his head - I think that is where he landed. In the second frame are injuries from the second dive. I'm pretty sure he landed on his ear that time, and you can see from the third frame that his ear didn't fare too well. He damn near ripped his ear off and broke the bottom stair in the process. I am happy to report that he hasn't set another foot on the porch and, as far as I know, has been sober since.

Scat, You Nasty Monkey!
Due to my son's illness and spank man's sabotage of my computer, I have been without internet for nearly 4 days. Yes, I will admit there was a bit of withdrawl going on. However, that is not the only Monkey I've been fighting with...

I'm not getting any younger (or thinner) so I decided it's time to see about trying to rediscover sveltie Celti. I started the South Beach Diet yesterday. It basically detoxes your body and then "retrains" it on how to process carbs correctly. For the first two weeks, I am to have as few carbs as possible...little to none is ideal. This means no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes, no corn, no sugar, and no fruit. I thought this would be no sweat. The book talks about the cravings you will have - nah, not me! I love fresh veggies and cheese - I'll do fine. I have been eating veggies, cheese stuffed celery, beef jerky, string cheese...

All was going quite well until a trip to the grocery store yesterday. John and I went to get meat to smoke more jerky. We were walking along talking when all of the sudden I stop and look around. I was surrounded by pop tarts, granola bars, Little Debbie snacks and cereal! I squealed "get me out this aisle!" and ran. He was laughing his ass off! It was like all of those carb filled goodies were closing in on me. Yipes!

Since then, I have been craving like crazy. I want sugar, bread, baked goods. I had no idea how hooked I was on this crap. The book says the craving only lasts a few days and it's been nearly 48 hours now. My, what a test of will-power this has been! Wish me luck, people, I'm going to need it!

Anyone for some beef jerky?

No comments:

Post a Comment