Ahhh, yes - The Top 100 Songs from 1987. Here they are in all their glory and my comments about them.
1. Walk Like An Egyptian, Bangles - Feh. I liked it when it first came out, but then they overplayed it so badly that it made me cringe.
2. Alone, Heart - I liked pretty much anything by heart. This was a good one. I seem to remember dedicating this one more than a couple times...
3. Shake You Down, Gregory Abbott - ooooh, I liked this one. He had a way about him when he sang it that made me want to swoon.
4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), Whitney Houston - Ug. Whitney always made me want to gag. She was just so goody goody - little did we know she was smoking crack backstage. lol
5. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Starship - Ew, the Jefferson Sellout. Not.
6. C'est La Vie, Robbie Nevil - It was catchy. That's about all I have to say, though.
7. Here I Go Again, Whitesnake - Ooooh, the king of the hair bands. I liked the song then, but when I see them now they make me crack up.
8. The Way It Is, Bruce Hornsby and the Range - One of my all time fave songs - so insightful. I still listen to this album. Bruce is brilliant. I could listen to him tickle the ivories all day.
9. Shakedown, Bob Seger - Hmmm...don't remember it. I never was much ofa Bob Seger fan, though.
10. Livin' On A Prayer, Bon Jovi - oh, lord. Yeah, it was good back then. Reminds me of my best friend at the time, though. She ended up burning me good, so bad memories...
11. La Bamba, Los Lobos - overplayed, sick of it.
12. Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Wang Chung - Cool song. The video was a hoot.
13. Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House - I loved Crowded House. Good song - very um...dreamy. :)
14. Always, Atlantic Starr - Don't remember it. Don't remember them. heh
15. With Or Without You, U2 - U2 were and still are freakin' awesome. This one is a classic.
16. Looking For A New Love, Jody Watley - I liked this one. Very funky. I used to try to dance like her. lol
17. Head To Toe, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Cheese alert! Too bubbly for me.
18. I Think We're Alone Now, Tiffany - Oh, gag! Never could stand her. Yikes.
19. Mony Mony, Billy Idol - Woot! LOVED Billy Idol! Hell, I suffered 2 broken ribs for him on the "Rebel Yell" tour - front row smashed up against the stage. This is a silly song but mainly because of the whole "get laid get f*'d" thing.
20. At This Moment, Billy Vera and The Beaters - If it's the one I think it is, it was a sweet love song.
21. Lady In Red, Chris De Burgh - I really liked this one. Always made me want to wear a red dress. lol
22. Didn't We Almost Have It All, Whitney Houston - Yep, almost Whitney. ...until you fried your voice with crack!
23. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, U2 - Another classic. I still haven't either.
24. I Want Your Sex, George Michael - Ooooh, yeah. Hot. Don't care how gay he is, this is a hot song.
25. Notorious, Duran Duran - I was such a Durannie, they could do no wrong. I adored them and everything they did.
26. Only In My Dreams, Debbie Gibson - I couldn't stand her, either. Something about that high pitched, squealy voice. Ug.
27. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life, Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - Dirty dancing was a great movie. This song would have sunk like a rock without it.
28. The Next Time I Fall, Peter Cetera and Amy Grant - Eh...it's ok. Just ok.
29. Lean On Me, Club Nouveau - Cool song. Good effort for a one-hit-wonder.
30. Open Your Heart, Madonna - I loved Madonna, but this wasn't one of my favorites. It just seemed to bouncy & foo foo.
31. Lost In Emotion, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Hmmm...again, remember them but not this song.
32. (I Just) Died In Your Arms, Cutting Crew - very dramatic, but a good tune if you're in the right mood.
33. Heart And Soul, T'pau - I liked this one, but seem to remember it being over played.
34. You Keep Me Hangin' On, Kim Wilde - Also quite dramatic, but a cool song nonetheless.
35. Keep Your Hands To Yourself, Georgia Satellites - This is a good one still. I loved these guys, and this song was so funny & fun to sing.
36. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me), Aretha Franklin and George Michael - Nah...never thought this pairing worked. It was ok, I suppose, but didn't blow my skirt up.
37. Control, Janet Jackson - Janet coming into herself. You go girl.
38. Somewhere Out There, Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram - A bit on the cutesy & cheezy side, but I liked it. Linda Ronstadt is awesome.
39. U Got The Look, Prince - I loved just about anything by Prince. This wasn't one of my favorites, though. Like so many others around this time, it was a bit too bouncy.
40. Land Of Confusion, Genesis - Excellent song. I really liked Genesis & their videos were too cool.
41. Jacob's Ladder, Huey Lewis and The News - I liked Huey Lewis, but don't remember this song at all. Sheesh.
42. Who's That Girl, Madonna - another one from her foo foo bouncy girl stage. You can do better, material girl.
43. You Got It All, Jets - I did like this song although the Jets were corny as hell. This is a nice love song.
44. Touch Me (I Want Your Body), Samantha Fox - Oh, what a slut. I couldn't stand this tramp, and this song was so typical of her. Jeez.
45. I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Michael Jackson and Siedah Garrett - Um...wha? I don't have any recollection of this one at all. Kinda scary.
46. Causing A Commotion, Madonna - Eh...it's ok.
47. In Too Deep, Genesis - Not as good as the other one, but all their songs were pretty good.
48. Let's Wait Awhile, Janet Jackson - oh, sweet innocence. *choke* She got over it soon enough. lol
49. Hip To Be Square, Huey Lewis and the News - Cool song! Loved it & I think this was the one that made me a Huey fan.
50. Will You Still Love Me?, Chicago - Wow, I really liked Chicago, but don't remember this one either. I'd probably know it if I heard it. Oh well.
51. Little Lies, Fleetwood Mac - Sweet! I loved Fleetwood Mac (still do) and this was a very nice tune.
WOW! This is a hell of a lot more work than I thought it would be!
52. Luka, Suzanne Vega - ahhh, the dawn of the new age of social awareness. Great song.
53. I Heard A Rumour, Bananarama - ahhh, the dawn of the foo foo sexy chick group. Not really, but I know for a fact that all if not 66% of these girls can't carry a tune in a bucket.
54. Don't Mean Nothing, Richard Marx - eh. that is all. lol
55. Songbird, Kenny G - well, if you like sax...
56. Carrie, Europe - Don't remember it. Don't remember them. heh
57. Don't Disturb This Groove, System - Don't remember it. Don't remember them. heh
58. La Isla Bonita, Madonna - Madonna goes Latin. I kinda liked it.
59. Bad, Michael Jackson - Who's bad? Well, didn't we find out later on. lol He warned us!
60. Sign 'O' The Times, Prince - yay, Prince!
61. Change Of Heart, Cyndi Lauper - Cyndi rocked and still does. Love that girl & always admired her for being such an individual. This was a sweet song.
62. Come Go With Me, Expose - no. just no.
63. Can't We Try, Dan Hill and Vonda Shepard - Don't remember it. Don't remember them. heh
64. To Be A Lover, Billy Idol - Oh, to be his lover. lol He used to make my toes curl, but not any more.
65. Mandolin Rain, Bruce Hornsby and the Range - another fave from Bruce. I used to listen to this alot in France. Wonderful, wonderful song.
66. Breakout, Swing Out Sister - It was a cool song...then.
67. Stand By Me, Ben E. King - A classic. Love this song.
68. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Genesis - Good song, although it gets to be a bit repetative by the end.
69. Someday, Glass Tiger - I vaguely remember them, but don't remember the song. My memory of them is that they were cheezy.
70. When Smokey Sings, ABC - no. These guys were cornier than hell. ...and yeah, the song is corny.
71. Casanova, Levert - Don't remember it. Don't remember him. heh
72. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine - catchy but annoying if heard too much. Gloria is awesome - I really admire her.
73. Rock Steady, Whispers - Funny how, when young and innocent, you have no idea what some songs are really
about. Then you listen to them later...Oh. Oooooh!
74. Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bon Jovi - Dead would be my choice. lol
75. Big Time, Peter Gabriel - One of my all time fave videos. Good song, too.
76. The Finer Things, Steve Winwood - there are a lot of finer things compared to this song.
77. Let Me Be The One, Expose - nope, sorry. You're not the one. LOL
78. Is This Love, Survivor - Great song. Was this their only hit?
79. Diamonds, Herb Alpert - no recollection whatsoever
80. Point Of No Return, Expose - Were these guys really that popular? Jeez. Don't remember the song at all.
81. Big Love, Fleetwood Mac - Not one of their best, but not bad.
82. Midnight Blue, Lou Gramm - way overplayed. Nah.
83. Something So Strong, Crowded House - Yay! Great song - loved these guys. They were such saps. lol
84. Heat Of The Night, Bryan Adams - Canada has already apologized for Brian Adams. We've moved on. *snicker*
85. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You, Glenn Medeiros - a good effort. That's about it.
86. Brilliant Disguise, Bruce Springsteen - Although I would have to have been a hermit not to know who Bruce is, I do not remember this song. Must not have been impressed...
87. Just To See Her, Smokey Robinson - groovy
88. Who Will You Run To, Heart - This was a hit? oooh kaay...
89. Respect Yourself, Bruce Willis- Bruce Willis?? He sang? Yikes.
90. Cross My Broken Heart, Jets - bee bop unbearable.
91. Victory, Kool and The Gang - I really couldn't stomach Kool & the Gang. Yuck.
92. Don't Get Me Wrong, Pretenders - Cool song. Chrissy was awesome.
93. Doing It All For My Baby, Huey Lewis and The News - middle of the road - not great, not bad.
94. Right On Track, Breakfast Club - Don't remember it. Don't remember them. heh
95. Ballerina Girl, Lionel Richie - don't remember the song, but anything by Lionel was sappy.
96. Meet Me Half Way, Kenny Loggins - Don't remember this one either. hmmm
97. I've Been In Love Before, Cutting Crew - Nice song. Good one to sing along to.
98. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Party, Beastie Boys - Woot! Parrr taaay! This was my intro to the Beasties. They kick ass.
99. Funkytown, Pseudo Echo - ha ha ha! Won't you take me doooowwn to funkay town! What a fun dance song.
100. Love You Down, Ready For The World - um...drawing a blank here. Must not have made an impact.
Well now...wasn't that fun? Which ones are your
faves? Which ones did you think were real stinkers? Ahhh...the memories.