March 19, 2004

  • Baby receives 8 Organ transplants


  • Brief but interesting story about an italian baby girl who received a new liver, stomach, pancreas, small intestine, large intestine, spleen and two new kidneys. A newborn, she would have died if they hadn't done this due to a horrible disease. This, for some reason, is disturbing to me though. What will her quality of life be? Will this disease destroy these organs, too? Will she grow up and be able to function as a normal adult.

    As a mother myself, I understand that this baby's parents wanted nothing more than for her to live. But was this baby meant to live? Were these 8 organs wasted on her when they could have saved up to 8 other lives? Don't get me wrong - I am an organ donor and believe in it strongly.

    I am glad she came through the surgery ok, but can't help but wonder what her future holds...





    No comments:

    Post a Comment