July 25, 2005

Veg Out!

I'm meeeeellllllllttttting!

It's been hotter than Hades here, folks. I'm not joking. Temps have been in the 100+ range now for days, community centers and malls are letting people who have no A/C hang out there, the fire dept. is giving out free fans.

We went out Friday night to "Taste of Des Moines" - a festival with fun activities, live music and many local restaurants offering "tastes" of their goodies for $1. It was so hot it was hard to enjoy it, but it was ok. It was a bit vexing that many of the restaurants "tastes" were more in the $3 to $5 range rather than $1. Oh well. The greek joint's Souvlaki Skewers saved the day. mmmmm. Souvlaki. *drool*

Due to this oppressive nastiness, we didn't go out much the rest of the weekend at all. Being flat broke, there isn't much to do indoors that doesn't cost money. Thankfully, we have a Blockbuster movie pass! Woot! For anyone who hasn't heard of this wonderful idea, here's the scoop. You pay a monthly fee ($25 here) and you get unlimited rentals for the month. You can get two at a time, watch them, take them back for two more...you get the picture. No time limits, no late fees, no limitations. It's a wonderful thing.

We rented a bunch of movies this weekend. How about a brief review of each flick we watched? (I'm no movie critic, so bear with me, people. lol)

***

The Pacifier (Vin Diesel - rawr!)
"The toughest man in the American military faces a new kind of challenge -- looking after four kids in soccer-mom suburbia."

Very cute movie. I liked it a lot. I thought Vin did a good job on this one - so funny to see this tough, manly man change diapers and sing the "Peter Panda Dance" song with moves and everything. I have no idea what the critics thought of this one but we liked it. D LOVED the duck.

***

Constantine
"An ordinary man with an extraordinary gift must save the planet from evil in this action-packed fantasy. Unknown to most people, the world is crowded with spirits both good and evil who walk among us in human guise. One of the few who can see these spirits is John Constantine (Keanu Reeves), but the responsibility of his vision is more than he can stand, and he tries to kill himself. Saved from death, Constantine must now atone for his actions by acting as a guardian in the middle ground between Paradise and Hell."

We had seen this one in the theater, but I wanted to see it again. Not only am I quite the Keanu Reeves fan (rawr!), it's an awesome movie. The special effects are excellent and the entire story behind it is fascinating. I thought it was very well done. Obviously, D didn't watch this one. It's just a bit on the scary side for the wee ones.

***

Team America: World Police
"Team America: World Police is a tongue-in-cheek but nonetheless politically biting send-up of the CGI-laden, big-budget action movies that have taken an almost exclusive hold over mainstream box offices, particularly during the summer months. Inspired by the Thunderbirds, a popular 1960s children's series, Team America: World Police uses similarly styled, but significantly more crass, marionette puppets in lieu of computer-generated images to breath life into an elite group of adventurers known as Team America. Their mission: to travel the world, root out its terrorists, and keep evil at bay."

Obviously, this one was another late-night selection. Puppet sex, gratuitous violence, LOTS of vulgarity and... well, more puppet sex. I have to admit, it was quite funny. Twisted, but funny in a South Park kind of way.

***

The Lord of the Rings (All Three)
A friend recently gave us a copy of "Return of the King", the third in the triology. It had been so long since we'd seen the first two, that we decided to rent them and watch all three in the proper order. We made it through almost all of them. We still have the last half of the last one to watch.

What can I say about these movies besides the fact that they are phenomenal? I love these movies so much. What a wonderful story, wonderful characters and the films are so well made. Really, if you haven't seen them, do it. I'll just stop here because nothing I can say really does them justice.

***

The boys did venture out Sat. evening for a go kart ride through the woods only to have the chain come off and subsequently get CHOMPED by voracious mosquitos. Dang! They didn't take bug spray because they thought they'd be moving the whole time. They came running home muddy and maddened by the bugs.

So, it really was a nice kind of "mental health" weekend. We did some intermittent napping, quite a lot of eating (I made my famous garlic lamb in the crock pot. mmmmmm. ...and spaghetti with my home made sauce that simmered all Sun. afternoon. *drool*) and I did a HUGE amount of laundry. We did a lot of playing tug-o-war and Lexi had a bath (she was very good!). D churned out a large quantity of artwork with his star wars art desk (if I color another light sabre or space ship, I'll scream) and played with his Millenium Falcon.

Although the few brief outings that we had (such as blockbuster or the grocery) were nice cabin fever avoiders, can I hear three cheers for air conditioning!?

13 comments:

  1. AC does indeed rock! It hasn't been quite as hot here (90s) but hot enough. My little one is a Star Wars fanatic as well. Don't get him started cause he knows everything and will pull out his documentation to prove he's right.

    Glad the weekend was mellow.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip hip hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!
    Hip hip hooray!!

    And an amen too, sista'!!!! We've got the same traumatic weather going on too so I totally know what you're experiencing. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It finally cooled off here (like high 80's) over the weekend, but today the humidity is up and it's gonna be in the 90's. Days like today make me feel bad for my husband, who spends his day shoveling hot asphalt and driving big hot machines.

    But it makes me smile that I work in an office with air conditioning. I hope it cools down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celti girl it has been hot here all summer ungodly hot, now it finally cools off the day we get to spend in the cold ice rink go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the Pacifier too... but mostly for that Panda dance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather's been great here! 80's, sunny, no humidity....... wanna come over? :op I have ALKEEHAWL!!!

    Sorry it's been so hot there, you gots to have AC at times like this. There's only really 5-10 days out of the year here that we'd need it, so I don't really bother. I love Portland in da summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez...those temps are horrible. Here in Maine it was bad last week but this weekend was quite mild and breezy (ok, downright windy) I'll send you some cooler thoughts....like strawberry daqueri coolers. ;)

    Yay for naps...I love naps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least the heat is supposed to break tonight. Just in time for my jaunt to Chicago for a Cubs' game on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad we're finally going to get some relieve tomorrow.

    Yay for rain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was boiling in San Francisco this weekend. That's a lot of movies for one weekend! Is your ass numb? =)
    New post up at The House of Fez.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vince - it's 101 here right now and our air here at work is broken! Hope they're working nights! D LOVES Star Wars. You should see him act out the scenes! lol

    JustMe - I know you're smoldering out there. You too!

    E-Lo - oooh, asphalt. Yay. Makes 'em tough, right? lol We're supposed to get t-storms tonight (woo hoo!) so that should break the heat wave.

    Jenn - yeah, what's up with that!? It's supposed to be cooler over there! Global warming! Meep!

    SpyHick - didn't think you'd want to make the drive down, what with no a/c in your hoopty. LOL

    Michael - the Panda dance rocked! I bet you'd be cute doing it. heh

    Vicki - oooh....sounds nice. She's luring me with alkeehawl, peeps! Temptation...

    Boo - woo hoo! Strawberry daq's! Naps rule. Oh, man, does that mean I'm getting o.l.d.? (can't type it out loud, you know)

    Cootera - Thunderboomies on the way! Woot! Hey, use the pisser before you get on the bus, eh!? lol

    Pup - can't wait for the thunderboomers.

    White Chocolate! - Sweatin' in San Fran, huh? "Oh, it never gets hot here." mmm hmmm. LOL
    No numb ass - too much running around switching & putting away laundry & checking food & chasing child. I got firsties in your comments! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Cinci had a hot weekend, and a hotter start to the week (we're under a heat emergency through Wednesday MORNING), and the Heat Index topped out where I work at 111--bleah!

    Haven't seen Vin's movie yet, but we really want to see it--a serious departure from his typical role. My step-daughter brought me Constantine as a belated father's day present, so I have that to look forward to sometime this week in the wasteland that is summer TV. Did you get to see the uncensored Team America? There wasn't all that much added to it, but I understand why they had to cut back on the "sex scene" in the theatre release after seeing it. Ew!

    As Kim Jung Il says, the passing of the heat wave will be "Inewitable!".

    ReplyDelete