February 14, 2006

Ich Liebe Valentine's Day

So, today was the day dedicated to some saint who most likely inadvertently became directely associated with the most convoluted of emotions, love. Hmmmm...wonder how that happened.

Anyway, I was given a beautiful crystal rose in a spiffy box and a lovely card. He giggled at the hearts-n-arrows boxers he got, along with a giant heresy's kiss. Solid. The D-Man got a giant red stuffed bear.

We went to dinner tonight at a local German restaurant - the Hessen Haus. Yeeeeaaaah. I still have accordion music and yodeling rattling around in my head and I've been having visions of beefy men bouncing around in their lederhosen.

They certainly get an A for effort as far as authenticity goes. The atmosphere is very German and there were things on the menu that left me scratching my chin. Our waiter was very jovial, and never wrote a thing down but neglected nothing. He was impressive, but he wasn't wearing lederhosen. Damn.

We had an appetizer involving several different cheeses. How appropriate.

They serve weinerschnitzel and jaegerschnitzel and lambergerschnitzel and beer that looks like chocolate and on and on. My father-in-law dined on what appeared to be an entire ham and mother-in-law had jaegerschnitzel. Chris got the elk tenderloin medallions, which weren't what he'd hoped. I had pheasant in mushroom Riesling sauce and I tell you - the sauce was the boss. It was so flavorful and it was excellent. I think I made the best choice from the menu.

Best of all, it was a peaceful meal. The D-Man was at home with a cool couple eating shrimp. Heh.

Now, I think I shall partake in some tunes in an attempt to drown out the polka and sign off since I have this piece of german chocolate cake to attend to.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, sweet pea!! I'm glad to hear it was a good one!! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you got me all hungry for German food: sauerbrauten, rhouladin, spaetzle... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh, now you've got me missing the Haufbrau Haus back in Cleveland (I don't even know if it's there anymore). Their weinerschnitzel was to die for.

    Happy (late) Vals' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentines Day! Late of course. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Jagerschnitzel!! MY FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wife would be in heaven with that kind of food. Me, I'm all about the German Chocolate cake! Now you're talking.

    The best kinds of dinners we have are also the ones where the kids do not participate. Glad your Valentine's Day was so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMMMM... beefy men bouncing around in their lederhosen...

    That gives me some post Valentines day food for thought... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm commando now and feel much better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. To quote the world famous Schmenge Brothers--

    "Cabbage Rolls and Coffee! Mm Mm Good!!!"

    Oh, and let us not forget Saurbraten and Spaetzle! Mmmmm...

    If you ever get to Cincinnati in September, I'll drag you down to the largest and one of the oldest Oktoberfest celebrations in the US! Gut food, good bier, and der Chicken Dance! Bwak Bwak Bwak!

    Hope you had a great Valentines Day...ours was very subdued--grilled a 2" thick T-Bone on the grill for the two of us to share, along with a salad and grilled potatoes, and took it easy for the evening.

    And now the missus has my chest cold...we can't win. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 years in Germany. I've had the best and the worst of it. I had a hamster there that I named Pork Schnitzel because the ladies in our apartment building would lick their lips every time they saw him.

    Pork committed suicide by dryer hose after a few months. At least he went his own way rather than ending up in someone's stew.

    HHNT!
    Where's your pic gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  10. JustMe- you too! *hugs*

    Cootera - Oooh, we should hit Octoberfest in the Amanas together!

    Goob - it is good stuff. They knew how to cook!

    Nanner - I know you know what I mean! Mmmmm!

    Vince - sadly, the cake wasn't as good as I hoped. So nice to have a peaceful dinner. :)

    E-Lo - hee hee!

    Cootera - woot!

    Spc - mmmm...sauerbraten! That would be too cool! I do a mean chicken dance. lol ...and mmmmm - T-Bone! Sorry to hear that you infected the missus.

    Tricia - I'm sure you did! That's a hilarious name for a hamster! Poor little dude!

    HNT is up!

    ReplyDelete