May 11, 2006

I would have done the same.

I watched United 93 last night. Wow. It was absolutely heart-wrenching, but I'm glad I rented it.

I cried a river as the people on the plane called & talked with their loved ones...knowing that they were going to die. I can't bear to imagine how it would feel to be in their shoes or to be on the other end of the line with a loved one of mine on that plane. They had to do something. They had the advantage of having been delayed so they could find out what had happened with the other planes. They knew that, if they didn't do something, they were going to die. Fighting back was their only chance.

I think that, if put in their position, I would have done the same thing. The hardest part would be calling your family to tell them goodbye. Who would you call? What would you say? Although it's nice, I suppose, to have the opportunity to say goodbye, how heart-breaking woult that be? After that was done, however, I would have done everything I could to regain control of that plane.

I was tremendously impressed with the way that the makers of the movie worked with the victims' families and respected their feelings and wishes.

It's so tragic that the passengers failed to gain control and save themselves, but they did prevent the devastation that would have resulted if those bastards would have reached their intended target - the white house or the capital. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

***
On a completely unrelated note - I feel tired, sore and frustrated today. I've totally overdone the exercise the last few days in an attempt to kick my weight loss back into gear. I've been so discouraged these last few months and it's been so hard to keep myself from just saying "fuck it." Well, the motivation I needed came in a form I didn't expect - a couple of stupid punks driving by. I was bent over planting flowers in the front yard when they went past and shouted various woots and oh, babys and something about my fat ass. My gawd, it isn't that bad! ...or is it? I was pissed off, then I got all upset and cried. It hurts when people are cruel like that, but like I said - it motivated me to do something about it. Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles during my lunch hour - all the way around the lake. I felt so good afterwards, but today I am walking like a grandma. It sucks, but I know it will pass and I have to keep it up. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment