April 14, 2005

Afterglow and A Duty to Do

I am still walking around with a silly grin on my face, feeling happy and loved from what some wonderful people did for me yesterday. My office smells so nice, and I shake my head in wonder when I look around. I just can't believe what wonderful people blogger has brought to my life. *sigh* Amazing. As my sweet nanner peach pointed out yesterday, it's like finding a room where all of your best friends have been hiding all this time.

Unfortunately, my day is going to be touched with sadness. Pod's funeral is today. I'm relieved that it isn't scheduled for Saturday - I was afraid they'd have it on my birthday, which would just stink, not that the whole thing doesn't stink enough already.

Pod was a veteran of the Navy, so we're hoping that there will be a military presence there to bury him with honors. I learned, from his obituary, that he was only 47. So young...

It was mentioned that I might be asked to speak at his funeral. I will - I have plenty of things to say about Pod as he was very special to me, a lot like the big brother I never had. I'm afraid that I'll lose it, though. It will be really hard to keep the water works from starting up. I know that Pod would not want me to be sad, though, and maybe that will help.

In a week or so, I'll be planting a peony bush on his grave. He always brought me peonys from his yard.

It is a beautiful, dazzling morning this morning. I was nearly tingling with anticipation last night as Derrick and I swung on the swings, him in my lap, looking around at my yard knowing that this weekend I'll be taking off the winter blanket that has insulated my babies (read perrenials) for the last 6 months. They are all poking their little heads up through the leaves. I also have about 50 Iris to plant - wee ones that I took from my grandmother's garden last weekend. What a wonderful way to remember her each spring. I got two peony bushes from her, too - one for Pod and one for me.

Peeps, I know I've said this before, but this weeks events are prompting me to say it again - tell all your friends and loved ones how much you care about them, and be true to them and to yourself. You never know what tomorrow will bring, and being able to move foreward with no regrets is more comforting and valuable than you can imagine.

*hugs*