April 13, 2005

The Amazing Power of Woo

Inspired by Cooter's affection for the word yoyo, I have been pondering a word that I like very much.

WOO

Is Woo actually a word? Indeed!

1. To solicit in love; to court.
Each, like the Grecian artist, wooes The image he himself has wrought. --Prior. [1913 Webster]
2. To court solicitously; to invite with importunity. [1913 Webster]
Thee, chantress, oft the woods among I woo, to hear thy even song. --Milton. [1913 Webster]
I woo the wind That still delays his coming. --Bryant. [1913 Webster]
Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44
Woo \Woo\, v. i. To court; to make love. --Dryden.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Woo \Woo\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Wooed; p. pr. & vb. n. Wooing.]
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

My goodness! I didn't realize that the definition was so direct...after all, woo can be used in several ways.

Of course, per the definition, you can woo someone or be wooed until your knees shake and your head swims.

Then there is the expression WOO!, meant to convey a sense of excitement, enthusiasm.

Oh, this is just getting silly. I sound like some overly serious professor trying to explain the term "squiggly" to his English class. I am feeling very silly today - a bit giddy, in fact. Silly girl, unable to wipe the silly grin from her face...the cat that ate the canary, perhaps, or just delicious thoughts...

Let's just say that I really like the word WOO and all it's meanings. ...and I really like the Milton quote.

Woo hoo!