December 08, 2004

Ding a Ding Dang My Dang a Long Ling Long

"Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
that's ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long"
-Ministry, Jesus Built My Hotrod

The Best Concert EVER
I've been to a LOT of concerts in my time...but the best of all (so far) was Lollapalooza 1992.

In Order of Appearance, If I recall correctly:
Jesus & Mary Chain
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Ice Cube
Ministry
Lush
Red Hot Chili Peppers
...all in one fabulous day!

I went to see the show in Minneapolis with one of the most wonderful guys I've ever known - Jason, affectionately known as JEK. We simply had a blast.

I wore my favorite black mini tankdress (oh how I miss that dress - I literally wore it out) with my black 12 hole Doc Martins. Cool and comfy, I was ready to kick some ass! I was able to sneak in a huge water bottle filled with blackberry Clearly Canadian and Vodka in my backpack (hee hee).

We managed to wiggle our way up close to the front, so we had a really good view. It was a very warm day, so soon we were quite damp. With all of the bouncing around, moshing and general jumping up and down, we were soaked by the time Pearl Jam came on. Oh, the joys of swimming in the musky scents of a hyped up crowd. LOL

All of the bands put on a terrific show and the sound was great. Members of some bands would come out and jam with the other bands, and it was just so cool. Chris Cornell from Soundgarden came out and sang with Pearl Jam. Flea came out and played with Soundgarden. Al Jourgensen from Ministry would come out on stage and talk to the crowd (and spray us down with hoses) as they were changing the stage between bands.

I'm not much of a rap fan, but Ice Cube did deliver a good performance. The funniest part was when he did Ice T's Cop Killer. All of the cops/guards were standing surrounding the crowd up on the track, somewhat above the crowd, looking disgusted. At Ice Cube's urging, the entire crowd continued to flip the circling helicopters off as they filmed the crowd. Put THAT on the evening news! LOL


Although all were good and Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Chili Peppers kicked serious ass, my favorite performance of the day was Ministry. They had a simple stage setup, but Al's microphone stand was elaborately decorated with bones...so wild! You can see it in the pic. He also had a giant tricycle decorated in the same manner that he would ride around the stage. Crazy! One of the coolest parts was when they started to play "so what" - the beginning has a very deliberate, driving beat and the entire crowd began to jump straight up and down to the beat, in unison. It was so cool - I love it when the crowd moves as one like that.

Although, much to my chagrin, Jane's Addiction did not play, we did get to see Perry. He was dressed up in drag and served as a stage assistant for Jim Rose's Circus Sideshow! They put on a great show with Mr. Lifto picking up large bricks and such with various pierced parts, Matt the Tube, various contortionists and people eating light bulbs and jumping up and down on glass. I love sideshows. They are a freakin' riot. As a side note - If you ever get a chance to see the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus - GO! They are fabulous.

Jason and I wandered back to the campground and fell into our tent exhausted after the show was over. Damn, what a fine day it was!

Can't wait to see who is playing on Lollapalooza 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment