December 29, 2004

Big Wheels Keep On Turnin'

My mind is a swirl of thoughts today. I guess it's new years coming up, the busy holiday season and a whole variety of other elements combined that is making things spin at a rate much quicker than normal. Prepare for much rambling...

We're having a New Years Eve party, so there are lots of preparations to be made. How in the hell am I going to get the house cleaned up in time? Ug. We would really like to invite Kim & Chad, but Matt & Liz are coming. See, Matt and Kim used to be a couple, and it ended badly. Chad was next in line, so Matt does not like Chad to say the least. It would just be too tense. It sucks because it would be so nice to have all of them there. I hate having to choose.

I was smart and made the crab dip last weekend, so it is in the freezer all ready to thaw and serve. I am doing the little smoky weenies in bbq sauce that are always such a huge hit (not to mention no carbs) and we're making a plethera of ham balls. Last night, we ground 9 pounds of ham and added 14 pounds of ground pork to it. Damn, that's going to be a lot of ham balls. LOL We add eggs and bread crumbs, and then bake them basted in a wonderful brown sugar sauce that is out of this world. Yeah, I know...not carb friendly, but you gotta live. Matt & Toni are bringing a shitload of cheese from Wisconsin (yes!), so we'll have a monster cheese tray and who knows what else. I, of course, will be having margaritas.

Pugsley isn't getting any better. He had another seizure Christmas morning - that's what I woke up to, in fact. Poor guy. He seems to be more disoriented as the days go on and he seems to be losing his sense of what is where, frequently bumping into things. He is completely blind now. A few days ago, he was in the front yard doing his business and fell off of the terrace onto the driveway. I guess it's back to the leash. I have a feeling that he won't be with us much longer. It will be very hard for Derrick to cope with when we lose him, as he and Pugsley are best buddies. This lesson about death will be much tougher to deal with than the last, though I am glad that his first exposure to losing a pet was only a stupid fish. I think that will help him some with understanding.

Pugsley's impending demise makes me ponder my own aging. I'm not a kid anymore, and I am starting to see those little signs in the mirror. When I was getting ready this morning, I noticed that I am looking more and more like my mom as time goes by. The lines in my forehead no longer disappear when I stretch it out, and there are crow's feet forming. Oh, father time, you're a cruel bastard. Leave my frickin' face alone!

I am so excited because our little blogger party is coming up so soon! Aimee is flying in on Thursday night (the 13th) and spending the night at my house. I'll have to thoroughly vacuum everything so that my cat doesn't make Aimee miserable with her allergies. Keeping the benedryl handy, just in case. I feel bad that we don't have a spare bedroom to put her up in, but our house is small and full. The couch really is quite comfortable - I have slept on it. It also is a hide-a-bed, so I'll give her the choice of fold out or sleeping on it as a couch. The next morning, after dropping Derrick off at pre-school, we'll head out for Kansas City. We'll pick up Bunsen and Inanna at the airport on our way into town.

This is my first "get away" since Derrick was born, believe it or not. I am SO excited. I am a little nervous though, because I know Derrick will miss me terribly as I will him. He's stayed at Grandma & Grandpa's for the weekend before, but I've never gone away and left him with Dad. They'll do just fine, I'm sure. Sounds silly, I know, but I love our bedtime rituals, constant hugs and kisses and the way he crawls in bed with me and wakes me up with snuggles in the morning. I will miss him so much. Aimee had better watch out as she might have a drooling, sleeping Celti snuggling up to her. LOL

In KC, we reserved a hotel suite that sleeps 6, and there will be 5 of us there - Aimee, Bunsen, Jamie, Inanna and myself! Katey will be coming in the night before and we'll hook up with she and Pup after we get checked in. I think Pup is cooking dinner for us Friday night - woo hoo! Lucky Pup with 6 ladies in his apartment. He'll be in bear heaven. LOL

Not sure what else we'll do while we're there...would like to go out clubbing at least one night. Otherwise, we're just going to hang out and enjoy each other's company. Should be a blast. Is it nutty of me to have already started packing? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment