December 27, 2004

What Can We Do?

I feel so helpless. 23,000 dead and counting. On Christmas day!

If you haven't heard, there was a massive earthquake right off the coast of Indonesia on Saturday - a 9.0 on the richter scale. A 615 mile plate shifted, creating immense tsunamis to form - these huge waves (some over 30 feet high) hit the coasts of Sri Lanka, India, Thailand, Malasia and others with no warning on a beautiful, sunny morning.



I'm worried about Pup's sister - she lives in Thailand but I don't know where. I've been trying to call him since I heard the news and he isn't answering. I hope that's not a bad sign. I am also worried about my friend Rani who lives in India. Last I knew she was living in Delhi, so she should be safe. Let's hope she wasn't vacationing on the coast.

I can't give blood - well, I can, but it wouldn't get to those who so desperately need it. There are so many people who's homes were destroyed. They have nothing. What in the world could I send to them to help? Millions of people have been displaced. It's overwhelming. Humanitarian aid is on it's way from all over, but I just have this feeling that I should do something and I have no idea what to do. They are so far away.

Video I saw of this woman clutching the body of a dead child (her's, I assume) and screaming has haunted me for the last 24 hours. I cannot imagine the shock and pain that so many people there are experiencing right now. I can feel it in my bones. I clutched my son as I watched the news, him squirming and looking at me like "dang, Mom, what's wrong?". I couldn't tell him - I just hugged him some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment