December 07, 2005

It's Official

Winter has arrived.


She's beautiful, but she's a bitch! lol

Yes, folks, as I type this it is seven degrees BELOW zero. That's right. As Derek put it yesterday, "That's booger freezin' weather!". Yes, indeed, it is. It's the kind of weather when the cold creeps in through every tiny crack and crevice in your house, and your car's heater is just starting to warm up when you get to work after being on for 40 minutes, and the snot freezes as soon as it runs out of your nose (sorry...eww). Welcome to winter in Iowa.

I really don't know how people did it back in the 1800s. They didn't have insulation and furnaces. THey relied on fireplaces and wood burning stoves to keep warm. I can't imagine living without the modern comforts and conveniences we enjoy today. We are so spoiled.

This brings me to the subject that I originally intended to post about today: another blast from the past. A while back, I posted about the "Great Scots" in my family history. Owls posts about Scotland have got me thinking about them again, so I brought in a picture to share.


This is Harvey and Maryetta West, my Great Great Grandparents. Born in 1862, Maryetta was a Waddle, descended from John Waddell (the spelling changed somewhere along the line) who was born in 1724 in Glasgow, Scotland. He came to the USA and settled in Virginia somewhere around 1750.

This picture must have been taken around 1900 since she appears to be around the age of 40 or so. The image has always fascinated me because of the setting. Everything about it is very different from most of the photographs you see around that time - the slight smile on her face, the wary look on his, the book in her lap, the casual outdoor setting... The book on her lap says "West" on the cover (I want that book!) so I'm guessing it was a family album or family history book.

Geneaology is great fun and so very interesting. It is a dream of mine to go to Scotland one day and explore my family's ancestral homelands - the areas around Ayrshire and Glascow. I can't wait.

7 comments:

  1. As my dear departed mother in law used to say, that's colder than a witch's tit.

    Winter is indeed a beautiful bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Vince said and raise ya a friggin' buuuur! There go the nipples!
    Great great grandma & grandpa, awesom photo! She looks like she is plotting something against him. Hahaha!
    Lois Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. As me Da' used to say.
    'Tis cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Builds character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm damn sure I left a comment here this morning! Duh!

    Anyway, the winter thing is great, but I especially love that picture of your ancestors. It's incredible that you can connect with them in that way, isn't it? Damn, they really are so intriguing.

    I think Maryetta's just said to Harvey, "I wish they'd hurry up, or I'll have to wee in your hat."

    What? What? :P

    Excellent stuff, celti. So, how much family research have you done, then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cold here too. Not -7 cold, but cold nonetheless. I need me some heat....Celti, help a brother out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vince - in a brass bra? lol

    Lois - boing! Headlights are on!
    At least he seems to think she is! lol

    Pete - indeed! I bet you're real familiar with those kinds of temps.

    Jamie - yeah, whatever. lol

    Denny - indeed.

    Owl - suuure you did. lol
    I have a bunch that I was fortunate enough to get from my grandma. They're treasures, for sure. Hmmm... I was thinking more along the lines of "shut up or I'll kick your ass" lol
    I have a TON of family history information - a book that's probaby 4" thick. I have every branch of my family back at least 4 or 5 generations, and some back as far as late 1600s. It becomes MUCH more difficult once I get past when the came to the US as dates are way back there (usually early 1800s or before) and records were scarce. I need to come to the UK to do some research! ;)

    JP - ...and the northern girls with the way the kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night...la la. lol

    ReplyDelete