January 06, 2005

Dig It!

We woke up this morning to a wonderful 15" thick blanket of snow. Welcome to winter in Iowa! Oh, how badly I wanted to snuggle back down under that blanket and never come out. Alas, I had to go to work. I can't start out January by calling in and being a wimp.



My dog, Pugsley, is only 20 lbs, about 18" tall or so. He is not fond of the snow - it's like he doesn't know what the hell to do when I take him out. I drop him in the yard, and the snow is up to his chin. It's like it paralyzes him - he'll just stand there and shiver. If you leave him out there long enough, he'll flip over on his back, stick his paws up in the air and whine until you come pick him up. It's one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. The biggest problem, however, is that he won't do his business! He'll pee right then and there, but he will not poop. I guess he can't squat. LOL I'm sure I'll find a little surprise package at the bottom of the stairs tonight. Thanks, Pugs. I guess I'll have to scoop out a little place for him to poo. Spoiled brat.

So, I get dressed, get the kid up and dressed, find my boots, bundle up and go outside to my car which looks like a giant marshmallow. I find the door handle and pop open the door to get my snow brush. I start it up with the defroster cranked, and proceed to brushing the stuff off. Mind you, this is while wading through a good 2-3 foot drift which has formed around the car. I get it cleaned off, go inside and bundle up the kid and off we go. He, of course, doesn't want to get in the car - he wants to play, so I chase him through the yard as he giggles with delight at the new winter wonderland mother nature has provided.

We park off the alley behind our house. This alley can be quite trecherous when it snows like this. Getting out without getting stuck is quite a feat - it's all about maintaining your momentum and letting gravity work with you.

I put the car in gear and gun it in reverse to get all the way out there or I'll be stuck. Success! There is a slight incline, so getting out of the alley is no sweat as long as you go the right way. We slide down to the end where there is a T intersection with another alley. Before getting to the T, you have to gun it again to make it around the corner or....you guessed it...you get stuck. Woo hoo! We made the corner. Now, down the hill and to the street. There is a big depression where the alley meets the street, so you have to gun it again to get over that or...well, you know. I gun it down the hill, praying that no one is coming, and weeee! We make it through. One more challenge - the end of the alley to the main thoroughfare. As I come down the hill, I see that the dickhead that lives down there has plowed out his driveway, leaving a huge pile of snow where? In the alley. Jerk. I don't know if I'm going to make it, but I have no choice. I got for it, and we make it through the pile and out onto the plowed street. The closest street that has been plowed so far, mind you, is 2 blocks from my house.

Derrick and I celebrated with multiple woots and cheers and a "that was fun, Mommy!" Now, well just have to figure out how to get home. Let's just hope that, by that time, they will have finally plowed our street. If they have, then we get the joyous task of digging out the sidewalks. YAY!

I leave you with this little gem for your amusement: Ice Scraping

No comments:

Post a Comment