January 25, 2005

Where is This Handbasket Going?

I've been thinking a lot about the war - the war in Iraq and the "war on terror" that our leaders have plunged us into. Yes, I know that September 11 started it and I agree that something must be done, I don't know if what we are doing is right or if it is going to be effective at all.

As an aside, let me point out that I normally do NOT post thoughts of a political nature on my blog. This is a conscious decision as I am not fond of the idea of people attacking others because of their political views. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and should be allowed to voice them, but using them to personally attack and verbally degrade a person is just wrong. It is mean-spirited and unfair. But you know what? This is my blog, and this is what's on my mind. I will not waste my time fussing with someone who is unable to see or even acknowledge others' points of view and I will not allow their attacks to drag me down.



I am struggling to understand the mounting conflicts that are going on between the USA (or, would Christians be more like it?) and the Muslim world. What are we trying to accomplish, exactly? CAN we accomplish our objective? What do THEY want (besides all non-muslims' to be dead)? Will this ever end?

As my son grows, I worry about what his future holds. When he was born in 2000, our world was a much more peaceful place. Sure, there were struggles going on, wars being fought, people suffering - but that is the nature of people, societies and the world. That will ALWAYS go on...it's just a sad fact. Our country, on the other hand, was what I would have referred to as a peaceful nation, a respected ally.

I think the thing that worries me the most about all of this is how intrinsically different these people are from us. Their thought processes are completely different. How can we even begin to find peace with them if we don't understand them? Although I realize that my views are horribly skewed by the American media (something that became painfully clear while living in Europe), it is clear that what they want to instill in us is fear and it is working. I fear them. Why wouldn't I? They seem to breed hate. They teach their children to hate and to kill. They murder innocent people at every opportunity - people like Margaret Hassan, director of operations for CARE International in Iraq. This woman lived in Iraq, was married to a local and spent years working to help who? The people of Iraq! They kill their own, blow up children and police officers, and anyone who doesn't believe as they do.

I feel that our government is treating them as if they are like us - they are apples and we are oranges as far as I am concerned. We are pushing Iraq towards democracy - what makes us think that they want democracy? Would or could democracy ever work for them? I have no idea and I'm hoping that someone making important decisions has looked into this.

The war on "terror" is a war that cannot be won. It is a simple fact that good and evil will always exist - they create balance - the Yin and the Yang. They offset each other and it is just not possible to eradicate all of the people in the world who would like to do us harm. If ten of the radical Muslims are killed, there are fifty more of them ready to step up in their place.

I think I'm going to invite Steve to lunch today. Steve is one of our VP's. He is a great guy - an ex Marine officer and a Vietnam vet. He is very intelligent, insightful and he has a unique perspective on these kinds of things. It's been too long since we had lunch and I am hoping he will share his views on all of this with me. I may also have to rattle Sean's cage a bit and see what he has to say. I need a lot of help to answer some of these questions. I know that some of them don't have any answers.

In the mean time, I will love my family, love my friends, enjoy my freedom and live one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment